If you have seen an administrator or director in yourclassroom tapping an iPad or iPhone, you may have been observed using our district’s new K-12 walkthrough tool. Principals and district staff have been piloting use of the tool over the past month, making suggestions for improvement, and collaborating in small group walkthroughs to calibrate the tool.
So, What are They Looking For?
At right, you will see a copy of our NCCS Classroom Walkthrough Tool. The purpose of this tool is to enable us to view a snapshot of instruction in our district. We also hope to provide you with clear, specific feedback about what is observed in your classroom at any given moment in time. The criteria for the walkthrough was derived from our district vision: SUCCEED! (Click the link to learn more about our district focus.)
1. Walkthroughs will last generally 4-7 minutes.
2. Walkthroughs are aligned to SUCCEED, our district vision for this school year.
3. Walkthroughs are a way for us to capture a snapshot of instruction in our district.
4. Walkthrough data will be used to help us develop professional development goals and district support opportunities.
5. Teachers will be E-mailed their raw walkthrough data the moment the administrator submits the Google form to provide them with clear, specific feedback about instruction.
But, what if the walkthrough happens while I am transitioning or my students are taking a test?
Unlike a full or abbreviated observation, the goal of the walkthrough is not evaluative. The goal is to look at our schools and district holistically in terms of common practices. You may receive feedback on your lesson, and you may be asked to share your lesson with PLCs, during a faculty meeting, or with other colleagues.
What will you do with the data?
District-level leaders will be reviewing data during Curriculum Team Meetings, Executive Leadership Meetings, and Principals’ Meetings. All data will be used to develop plans for continuous improvement. Principals will be sharing data from classroom walkthroughs during faculty meetings or PLCs. Principals will be using the data to make decisions at the school level.
If you have questions about The NCCS Classroom Walkthrough Tool, please contact Heather Mullins at email@example.com