The Department of Public Instruction has worked to ensure every educator has the opportunity to receive an individual Standard 6 rating based on the growth of that educator’s students. In 2014- 2015, the Department will have covered approximately 90 percent of educators through one of the following statewide Standard 6 measures:
Analysis of Student Work
CTE Pre and Post Assessments
End of Grade/End of Course Assessments
NC Final Exams
The Department will work closely with districts to identify the number of educators who do not utilize any of the above measures of student growth and to continue development of local guidance and best practices on measuring student growth for the following educators:
- Teachers who only provide instruction on local elective courses,
- English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers who do not participate in roster verification,
- Academically and/or Intellectually Gifted (AIG) teachers who do not participate in roster verification,
- Exceptional Children (EC) teachers who do not participate in Analysis of Student Work or participate in roster verification,
- Teachers at the residential schools for deaf and blind students,
- Teachers at alternative schools who do not participate in roster verification, and
- Teachers who do not participate in Analysis of Student Work due to limited instructional time.
The 3-year rolling average needed to calculate Standard 6 for these educators will not begin until the 2015-2016 school year.