Vocabulary Strategy – Using Analogies
Why use it? –
Use of this strategy will help students to…
- Student categories of words to understand new vocabulary
- Connect words and ideas to background knowledge
- Recognize connections between words
- Comprehend abstract words and phrases of grade-level content
- Compare previously learned words by concept-based categories
- Exchange information about academic topics
- Understand cultural nuances of meaning
ESL teachers can help by:
- “Frontloading” the concepts beforehand so that the students can come to class with a cue card.
- Add pictures to the two concepts so they have a visual context.