Discovery High School (DHS) has been in existence since 2005. At its origin, the school started as the Health Science School of Newton-Conover and began with only 24 students. In the past two years, the newly named Discovery High School has made stellar leaps in attributes that have made it a popular choice for students in the area. Among those achievements are:
- 4 students have scored perfect scores on the verbal or math portions of the SAT for college entrance
- Won awards for several years for 100% Graduation Rate
- Students received $1.6 million in scholarship funds
- 19 of 21 seniors in 2014 were accepted at a four year college or university
- Quiz bowl competed in national championship in Chicago
- Highest SAT scores in Catawba County 2014
- 100% Graduation Rate 2014
- Ranked 31st Most Challenging High School by Washington Post
DHS has enjoyed much success academically that has resulted in increased interest in what the school has to offer students. According to John Robinson, Principal, “Our current enrollment is 175 students, grades 9-12. Our enrollment goal for 2015-16 is total enrollment of 210 which will require 60 new students.”
The application process is similar to years past; students complete an application, get three teacher recommendations, submit transcript and discipline record. This year, we’re asking that the three teacher recommendations be completed by the student’s language arts teacher, math teacher and another academic teacher. Students will then be scheduled for an interview, which we be done on a Friday and Saturday this year. Those who are accepted as the first 60 will receiving notification within a week, along with a commitment form and an invitation to register. We will keep the applications of those not accepted with the original 60 on file, should there be any student openings for the new school year.
For more information and a tour please contact Discovery High School at 828-466-5581.