Stump the Teacher is a strategy used to review content that has been taught in the classroom. This strategy allows the students to have fun while being in a competition with their teacher within the classroom. Students are able to quiz the teacher on a specific reading passage or selection to discover how well the teacher understands the content.
Here is the quick explanation of how to play Stump the Teacher:
- Step 1 – The teacher and students read silently a section of a text or passage that they have been reading in class.
- Step 2 – The students create one to two questions to ask the teacher based on the content of the passage that they have read.
- Step 3 – The students ask the question of the teacher and the teacher must have their book closed at that time.
- Step 4 – If the teacher answers the question incorrectly, the student has to show the teacher in the book where the correct answer is located.
- Step 5 – repeat and allow all students in the classroom to ask their questions.
The objective of the game is to stump the teacher with hard questions. The teacher would provide the student with a prize or incentive if they are able to stump the teacher. A modification of this game is to set up two teams to challenge the teacher. The winning team would earn a prize or bragging rights.